Watch This Video Or Else…

February 10th, 2009 · 14 Comments · Random Stuff

Since I just wrote a post about trade show zombies, and not too long before that wrote about trade show booths, I figure I can have a little fun and write about a few things again that have nothing to do with trade shows or trade show marketing. With that in mind, I recently saw a completely, totally, amazingly, seriously, off-the-top, 11-on-a-scale-of-1-to-10 video called Bubblicious by someone that goes by the name Rex The Dog. Take my word for it, you’ve got to watch this video.

I admire people with talent, and Rex The Dog has it. This video is just too cool. Make sure you turn up your speakers before you start it. It only takes 3:15 minutes, so don’t think you don’t have time. It may even change your life… well, it won’t do that, but you’ve got to watch it.

For my technically inclined readers, this video uses “stop motion photography”, which I haven’t seen in years, and must have been a LOT of work. According to wikipedia, “Stop motion (or frame-by-frame) is an animation technique to make a physically manipulated object appear to move on its own. The object is moved by small amounts between individually photographed frames, creating the illusion of movement when the series of frames are played as a continuous sequence. Clay figures are often used in stop motion animations, known as claymation, for their ease of repositioning.” To read more, including the history of stop motion photography (which goes back to 1902), click here.

And for my loyal readers who are here to read and learn the guru’s wisdom about trade show marketing, don’t worry. I’ve got another trade show post coming up soon. But take a break, have a cup of coffee, relax, and watch Bubblicious.

And the question for this post is, what movie did I allude to at the rather rambling introduction to this post?

• 1 cardiogirl // Feb 11, 2009 at 5:34 am

This is Spinal Tap? As in, “It goes to 11. There’s 10 but this goes to 11,” or something like that. It’s early and I saw the movie eons ago.

Didn’t watch the video yet because I wanted to throw down my movie knowledge! And I’m pretty positive I’m right.

Am I right?

• 2 cardiogirl // Feb 11, 2009 at 5:41 am

Okay, that was really cool.

However, when you said be sure to turn the volume up I thought for a minute the audio was just going to scream loudly to scare the cr*p out of me.

Remember that video that made the rounds during Halloween? And I was gonna smack you through the monitor.

But that didn’t happen and this video really was cool.

I can’t tell if the dog stole the show or the singer did when he added the wig.

But I did enjoy the dog drinking and eating cookies back there while the guy was singing.

No, it was the dog. He totally stole it when he exited the stage at the end and, well, I don’t want to spoil it.

• 3 Brian D. Hawkins // Feb 11, 2009 at 8:39 am

That’s pretty cool Steve. I’ve seen this type of thing before and always assumed it was just highly edited video. I haven’t heard of ‘stop motion photography’ before. It makes sense though. In a video it would be very hard to hide the hands.

• 4 The Trade Show Guru // Feb 11, 2009 at 10:15 am

@cardiogirl,
    We have winner! Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Yes, the correct answer is Spinal Tap. Good karma to you (sorry, that’s all you won 🙂 ). And yes, the video shows what can happen when you party too hard.
    @Brian,
    I haven’t seen a lot of stop motion photography, though this is some of the best because it is so much fun. If you click through to wikipedia you’ll see a lot of stuff has been done with it.
    Thanks to both for stopping by. ~ Steve

• 5 Will // Feb 12, 2009 at 2:00 am

Amazing! I watched it twice. But unless this was for an art class at University or something, I think Mr. Rex and his owner have way too much time on his hands!

• 6 The Trade Show Guru // Feb 12, 2009 at 12:32 pm

hey Will,
    Great minds thing alike… that is, I too initially thought the dog was named Rex, but it’s the maker of the video that goes by Rex the Dog. 🙂 ~ Steve

• 7 cardiogirl // Feb 13, 2009 at 10:43 am

YES! (jumps up and down) I win! I just enjoy the fact that I won.

And the good karma can’t hurt one bit.

• 8 The Trade Show Guru // Feb 13, 2009 at 4:50 pm

hey cardiogirl,
    No problem. There’s plenty of good karma around here to hand out… Just don’t jump too high and hurt yourself. 🙂 ~ Steve

• 9 Master of the Philippines // Feb 14, 2009 at 10:50 am

Hmmm…. so you haven’t watched “Robot Chicken”? It’s all stop-motion photography. I’ve seen all of season 1 and part of season 2 and I think there’s 4 seasons. I don’t know when it shows, but I think it’s on Comedy Central. I know it used to be part of “Adult Swim” but I don’t know nowadays.

• 10 JD at I Do Things // Feb 14, 2009 at 12:52 pm

This video made me squeal with pleasure!

I loved the dog being “skootched” along by the off-camera hand and then playing the keyboards. AWESOME!

There’s a feature film out called “Coraline” that uses stop-motion photography. It looks pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing the video!

• 11 JD at I Do Things // Feb 14, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Oh, and congrats to cardiogirl. Hope you enjoy that chicken dinner!

• 12 The Trade Show Guru // Feb 14, 2009 at 2:43 pm

@ RT (aka Master of the Philippines),
    I haven’t seen Robot Chicken, but I think it was mentioned in Wikipedia article. I’ll have to see if I can get it on Netflix. I’m surprised you have anytime to watch TV with all the blogging and internet stuff you do. But then again, you are the Master. 🙂
    @JD (aka Hard Headed),
    Glad I could make you squeal… well, I guess it was the video that made you squeal. And to clarify, no chicken dinners actually get handed out, just good karma.
    ~ Steve, aka the trade show guru

• 13 Tim // Feb 17, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Cool video, Steve. I hope you don’t mind if I mention this stop motion vid which is also amazing :
    Watch it or else … 🙂

• 14 The Trade Show Guru // Feb 17, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Hey Tim,
    That video is great too. Thanks. After watching it, I clicked on another youtube video called “food fight.” Man, there’s a ton of great videos there! ~ Steve