Please help Will

November 17th, 2008 · 13 Comments · Random Stuff

Please take the time to read this post (I’ll try to keep it short) and see if you can help Will. You’ll get good karma if you do.

One of the blogs I follow is Will Taft’s Healthy Living. Will, like several other bloggers I am grateful to, is helping me learn about blogging. Anyway, in a reply to an email I sent Will this weekend, he wrote back:
“On another note, I am posting an article on ACL injuries to young women. This is an important issue for all parents and coaches of girls who play sports. My youngest daughter is a stand-out basketball player who also plays competitive soccer, so I am really concerned about this. If you don’t mind stumbling the post when it goes up tomorrow so as many people as possible can pass on the information, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!”

Unfortunately, I can’t do this (stumble his post). I’m just learning blogging, and have yet to tackle social networking. I’m a trade show guru, not a blogging or social marketing guru. I’ve heard of Twitter, Digg, Facebook, etc (who hasn’t), but I haven’t learned what they are exactly or set up any accounts. I’ve read mixed reviews as to the effectiveness of social marketing, and I’ve read that it can eat up a LOT of time (which I don’t have), so it’s low on the priority list at this point.

However, I did realize I can help will by writing a post about his post and creating a link, so here it is ~ Preventing ACL Injuries in Women.
It’s a great article. I need to read it again, but the main points I got are that teenage girls are more prone to ACL injuries (8 to 10 times than boys perhaps!), which can in some cases end their ability to play sports and also lead to life-long pain. With proper education though, we can reduce the number of ACL injuries. This sounds like a good cause if ever I heard of one. I won’t say any more about preventing ACL injuries in women because Will does a much better job.

What really strikes me about Will’s request is that this weekend (before I heard from Will) my family went to a 2-year-old’s birthday party (the 75th birthday party was the week before). At the party I saw a woman on crutches with a full leg brace. I asked her what had happened and she explained that she had fractured her tibia. I then asked if there was a cool story behind it, like she did it snowboarding in Australia, but she said she fell while she was running on a trail at a law conference. She then said she was lucky not to need a cast, and went on to talk about how she had torn her ACL playing flag football at law school. The funny thing was that she said when she called her mom about tearing her ACL, her mom wouldn’t believe it, saying “girls don’t play that hard!” (read Will’s article). When this woman mentioned her torn ACL, it was the first time I’d heard “torn ACL” in years (FYI – it’s never happened to me or anyone close to me).

Also this weekend my 6-year-old daughter finished her final game of the season of AYSO soccer. This was her first year playing soccer (as an aside, for those soccer moms and dads out there, a dad friend of mine warned me before we started the year that AYSO doesn’t stand for American Youth Soccer Organization, it really stands for All Your Saturdays Occupied).

So what are the odds that my daughter finishes her first year of soccer and that same day a woman at a party mentions tearing her ACL years ago playing flag football, and then the next day Will sends me an email asking if I can plug his article? If that’s not karma calling, I don’t know what it.

Now I’m asking you to help. Please read Will’s article, and if you belong to one of these social networks, then digg it, or stumble it, or twit it, or whatever you do. Better yet, on your next blog post, at the bottom stick in a little blurp and link to his article. I, the trade show guru, promise you good karma if you help me out.

In case you missed it, here is the link again: Preventing ACL Injuries in Women

• 1 Lin Burress @ Telling It Like It Is // Nov 17, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Hiya Steve,

I wasn’t well versed on the subject of ACL Injuries, so I appreciate being able to learn something about ACL today.

I stumbled both articles. 🙂

I highly recommend that you get yourself set up on Stumble Upon. Like. Right. Now. This. Minute. 😉

• 2 The Trade Show Guru // Nov 17, 2008 at 6:15 pm

hi Lin,
    Thanks! BTW, regarding your recommendation that I should get set up on Stumble. Like. Right. Now. This. Minute. I’m guessing that nobody has ever accused you of beating around the bush… and I suppose that’s why your blog is aptly named “Telling It Like It Is.”
    Thanks again. ~ Steve

• 3 Lin Burress @ Telling It Like It Is // Nov 17, 2008 at 11:03 pm

LOL, you’re absolutely right! No one has EVER accused me of beating around the bush. My hubby loves the fact that he never has to guess what I’m thinking or feeling. He always knows. hehehe I’m straight-forward with everyone I know. Some people like it and some don’t. Oh well.

My Motto: Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

• 4 Will // Nov 17, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Hey Steve – Thanks a bunch for this. I was really surprised how little publicity this research was seeming to get. I am doing everything I can to spread the word and personally trying to get my daughter’s coaches to implement the program.

And thanks Lin for the Stumble!

-Will

• 5 Will // Nov 17, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Oh and Steve, if you think your Saturdays are full now, just wait and see what happens if she becomes an athlete like my daughter. The traveling competitive teams take up your whole weekend and a LOT of your money! She plays soccer many weekends in the larger cities 5 hours north of here around Portland. Her basketball team usually stays closer to home, within about 3 hours, but occasionally goes down to California to get better competition. Your fun is just beginning!

• 6 Mirjam // Nov 18, 2008 at 4:19 am

I stumbled it too 🙂
    Gotta say, I agree with Lin, creating the accounts really doesn´t take up that much time, so you can easily stumble, digg etc if you ever come across an interesting article like the one you mentioned.

I can completely understand your point though, socializing can take up a lot of time, but digging the occasional interesting article really doesn´t if you have the toolbar installed. Just a matter of some self control 😉

• 7 Tim@Redneck Bar // Nov 18, 2008 at 8:38 am

Hi Steve,
    If you are pressed for time, like me, I can completely understand NOT signing up for any of these time wasting networks. Yeah, they can bring you traffic. You have to participate to get it though. I just don’t have time to ‘stumble’ around, or network, and so I have this useless stumble bar occupying valuable firefox toolbar real estate and haven’t used it for months.
    However, I will go and stumble this one for you.

• 8 The Trade Show Guru // Nov 18, 2008 at 11:50 am

@Lin, As always, you crack me up. I love your motto. I’ve got to remember it.
    @Will, Glad to be of assistance. Also interested to see what effect I can have. Long live Karma!
    @Will2, I understand. We have friends with a teenage softball star. Their family life revolves around her practices/games/tournaments during the season. It’s all good, and well worth it, and I expect it is a lot of fun. As an aside, I’ve been warned what to expect during the “teenage years” in general, plus I’ve got my own memories. 🙂
    @Mirjam, Thanks for the help. Regarding your recommendations on social marketing, I’m going to recommend a cage match between you and Tim below, and I’ll do whatever the winner says. PS. Good karma is flowing to you…
    @Tim, Thank for your help. Report for the cage match with Mirjam above. Watch out, she might tag Lin to help her out. 🙂
    To All ~ Three stumbles and counting. Gotta love karma.

• 9 Lin Burress @ Telling It Like It Is // Nov 18, 2008 at 1:13 pm

The benefits of social networking cannot be overemphasized. StumbleUpon is by far the best and it’s easy. I don’t spend a lot of time randomly stumbling articles, but when I do find something I like and want to pass it along to others, I give it a thumbs up. Simple and easy. Not only that, but I oftentimes Tweet the link on Twitter.

It’s called Give to Get.

Or as Steve would say, Karma.

• 10 Mitch // Nov 18, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Hi Steve,

Nice post you’ve written here. I’m not on StumbleUpon either, and I don’t have children, so I’m not really the guy to write much about this subject.

• 11 The Trade Show Guru // Nov 18, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Hi Mitch,
    No problem, and thanks for stopping by. Karma points to you too. Since it sounds like you’re impartial on the subject of “StumbleUpon”, maybe you can be the referee for the cage match between Mirjam and Tim. 😉
    ~ Steve

• 12 MLRebecca // Nov 19, 2008 at 6:33 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I will definitely stumble this for Will. In the mean time, if you or your readers have any questions about blogging or anything else, please feel free to reach out to me at Rebecca AT MarketLeverage DOT com. Great post!

• 13 The Trade Show Guru // Nov 19, 2008 at 7:08 pm

hi Rebecca,
    Thanks for stopping by, and for pitching in to help plug Will’s article. I appreciate it, and send you good karma!
    ~ Steve
    PS. I modified your email address in your comment to make it alittle less readable to the evil spambot email-harvesters scouring the net.