Avast (anti-virus program) ROCKS!

May 26th, 2009 · 9 Comments · Random Stuff

While I’m a big believer in the old saying “there’s no such thing as a free lunch,” and almost always free isn’t free. But actually, sometime free really is free. One example is anti-virus programs. In the beginning, I thought to get good protection again computer viruses, I needed to pay for it, so I bought McAfee anti-virus, in part because it included “free lifetime virus updates.” I thought it was a fair deal to pay for the program and then get free lifetime updates (without regular updates, an antivirus program is worthless). I assumed lifetime meant lifetime, but to McAfee it meant the “lifetime” of that particular version, which was about one year! After a year, I wasn’t able to update the virus database anymore, and the version became worthless. Anyway, after that experience I switched over to AVG antivirus, which is free, and have been a huge fan of AVG for years. But about a month ago, I noticed that my Firefox browser (another truly free and truly awesome piece of software) was running slow, really slow. In fact, if I opened multiple browser windows, the previous windows would freeze up until the new window loaded, which could be ten seconds or more. It became worse and worse… painfully slow to “no go” at all. I was pretty sure I had a virus or bug, but a complete scan with AVG found nothing. Then, based on some recommendations I had read on multiple blogs, I decided to uninstall AVG and try a new (at least to me) free antivirus program called Avast. Well, I ran a scan with Avast and it found a DOZEN viruses, including the one causing my problems. Problem solved! I like that. So to AVG, I say “it’s been nice but I’m moving on.” And to Avast and Firefox, I say you rock. I’ll also mention two other free and awesome software programs. One is Malwarebytes. Although it missed this new virus, it found a “Vundo” virus I got several months ago that AVG let though. Kudos to the Master of the Philippines for recommending Malwarebytes. It too rocks! And I’m also a fan of Bad Behavior for blocking auto-spamming-zombies from accessing this blog. Bad Behavior rocks.

So the “moral” of this post is that sometimes free really is free, and Avast anti-virus is one example. The trade show guru recommends you check out the Avast anti-virus program, and let me know what you think.

• 1 Will // May 26, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I have been using Avast for years on all the computers. You should have asked before paying for McAfee. 😉

At least you did not install anything from Symantec. That is always a big mistake. Avast works great, uses very few resources, and is free. Of course they always accept donations.

By the way Steve, does your expertise on amphibians carry over to reptiles? While out hiking and geocaching this weekend, I came across a lizard I had not seen before. I have a couple of photos up on my WW post. It was even more yellow that it looks in the photo.

• 2 The Trade Show Guru // May 28, 2009 at 3:57 pm

hey Will,
    I should have been more specific. I bought McAfee (twice I think) over ten years ago. Then I discovered AVG. I had never heard of Avast until two months ago, but wish I’d heard of it long ago. I think it’s going to work out great!
    I’ll check your wordless Wednesday. Your photos are always great! ~ Steve

• 3 Tim // May 28, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Avast, ye viruses, and be off of my ship afore I make you walk the plank!
    It makes me sad when I think of all you non-mac users and your computer illnesses 🙂

• 4 The Trade Show Guru // May 29, 2009 at 11:36 am

Ahoy Pirate Tim!
    I didn’t know rednecks were allowed to have Macs. 🙂
    My Mac-brother reminds my other PC-brother and myself ALL THE TIME about the wonders of the Mac… but change is hard. ~ Steve

• 5 Will // May 31, 2009 at 12:22 pm

My son has been really thinking about a Mac as many of his college friends and his roommate use them. He has held off because he says there is still too much of a difference in price, plus the old problem of many programs not working on Macs apparently is still an issue. That is the typical catch situation. The Mac user base is still so small, much software is not written to work on it. That keeps the user base small which …. and so on. If the % of Mac users can ever get up to 20% that might be the tipping point.

• 6 Master of the Philippines // Jun 1, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Heh… you rock! 🙂

I’ve been using AVG for a long time and haven’t experienced any problems with it. I’m curious about the virii that AVG didn’t catch on your PC that Avast did. Perhaps I’ve been lucky enough not to get the same ones due to my *lack* of surfing habits. I’ll have to try Avast when the next AVG upgrade does a hiccup (which happens quite often come to think of it).

• 7 The Trade Show Guru // Jun 2, 2009 at 11:27 am

@Will, I think pricing is an issue for the Macs. Nothing against them, but if a PC gets the job done without too many problems and costs about half, it’s pretty compelling…
    @RT, I really liked AVG but I think I like AVAST even more. My computer seems to start faster now, and I’ve already gotten two AVAST warnings while surfing, and not in “bad neighborhoods”. It seems legit sites are getting infected with viruses, and you can then get them just by visiting the legit site… I don’t know what the world is coming to, but I’m glad I’ve got AVAST now. 🙂 ~ Steve

• 8 Natural // Jun 5, 2009 at 12:39 pm

a friend of mine says that nothing’s free. i then say it’s free to me.

i have mcafee (for free) through cable, but since i pay for cable, i guess it’s not free.

i haven’t heard of AVAST, but i’m on my way to check it out. i also use lavasoft’s free version.

• 9 The Trade Show Guru // Jun 9, 2009 at 11:46 am

hey Valerie,
    I would agree that if you’re paying for cable and they include McAfee for “free”, it’s really not free. My test is always would they give it to me for “free” if I didn’t pay for anything else…
    Anyway, AVAST really is free, and it rocks! ~ Steve