It Snows in the Winter

January 27th, 2009 · 13 Comments · Random Stuff

downhill racerIt snows in the winter. “Duh”, you say? Well, for some of us living on the coast in Southern California, we tend to forget there are four seasons. It’s really not that hard to forget that there is something called “winter”, especially when one has a tomato plant in the backyard that never got pulled out last fall and now has a dozen green tomatoes on it. Fortunately, thanks to the internet and blogging, our friends in colder climates can remind us that it snows in the winter.

Kathy (aka the Countess of Comments) over at the Junk Drawer wrote a post about college kids that wear shorts and flip flops in the snow.

Lee (aka that damn Yankee!) at Tarheel Ramblings (update: unfortunately, Lee’s excellent blog has gone to blog heaven… R.I.P. Tarheel Ramlings) has a great photo of an uncommon snow day in Raleigh, North Carolina, and writes about a local TV reporter’s coverage of the unusual event.

Janice at Mom On the Run has a Wordless Wednesday photo of an “iced coffee“.

Will at Healthy Living also has a Wordless Wednesday photo of a distant snow-covered peak (a peak that he climbed to the top of last summer when it was sans snow).

And finally I’ll mention a third Wordless Wednesday photo of ice clearing, posted by Øyvind (aka the lucky warrior) at Øblog. I found Øyvind’s blog recently (via a comment he left at the Junk Drawer). It was his photo and the fact that he is in Norway that reminded me of a hilarious short video (of a TV commercial) that I saw years ago about clearing snow off a car. I searched and found the video on youtube. It was stumbling across Øyvind’s blog and remembering that video that then inspired this post.

If you enjoy this video, stop by Øyvind’s blog and say “takk” (thanks in Norwegian).

And just for the record, though I now live in Southern California, I grew up in Reno, Nevada (near Lake Tahoe and Squaw Valley) and saw snow every winter. I walked to school in the snow (10 feet deep and uphill both ways if I remember correctly). I shoveled snow off driveways, built snowmen, and had snowball fights. I was on my high school’s ski team. I know that it snows in the winter. I also spent a winter living in a small town in Minnesota where I discovered that if you put water in your caar’s windshield wiper fluid container in the summer (because you lived in California) and forget about it, when you move to Minnesota for the winter it will freeze, and if you don’t have a garage because you live in an apartment, it won’t thaw out until spring.

• 1 Will // Jan 28, 2009 at 1:08 am

Yes it does indeed. It was 23 this morning when I left for work and the ground was white. Melted by noon, though.

Thanks for the link, Steve. I decided to make Mt. McLoughlin the star of my WW post again this week. Taken from a different local peak on the same day with a longer lens. It really does look like an old volcano in this one!

• 2 Will // Jan 28, 2009 at 1:09 am

By the way, I loved the car cleaning video. I thought I saw the punch line/image coming a mile away, but I was wrong. I thought his neighbor was going to come out and say thanks and get in the car and drive away!

• 3 The Trade Show Guru // Jan 28, 2009 at 10:32 am

hey Will,
    It is cold here this morning too and the heater is running, but not below freezing. My renegade tomatoes will be ok. 🙂
    I love the video too, especially the part where he almost slips… 😉 ~ Steve

• 4 Lin Burress @Telling It Like It Is // Jan 28, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Living in Texas, we don’t often get snow in the winter, but today and yesterday we’ve been blasted with an ice storm. Oh yeah, I get to stay home from work and actually write a post (or two).

Funny thing happened yesterday right after pulling into the garage and closing the garage door. It now won’t open and my car is stuck inside. Yet another excuse not to go to work. 🙂

Stay warm and safe, and hope for no more snow and certainly not an ice storm.

• 5 The Trade Show Guru // Jan 28, 2009 at 3:36 pm

hi Lin,
    Thanks for stopping by. I’ve never heard the one, “I can’t come into work today because my car is stuck in the garage because the garage door is frozen shut.” I’ll have to remember that “excuse”, though it wouldn’t work around here. 🙂 ~ Steve

• 6 Mom On The Run // Jan 28, 2009 at 11:39 pm

It definitely snows in winter – we got hit with 10cm of the white stuff today 🙁

• 7 Will // Jan 29, 2009 at 1:31 am

You have tomatoes? Now??? Post a photo to prove it please! On second thought, I don’t really want to know. The only tomatoes I see here this time of year are in the store. Or in the many jars of dried tomatoes I make every summer to get me through the winter and spring. I’m jealous.

• 8 The Trade Show Guru // Jan 29, 2009 at 10:57 am

@ Janice,
    Your comment got put in the Akismet folder, but I found it and fished it out. 🙂 Maybe it was the link at the end? Sounds like you’ll be doing your next run in the snow… don’t slip! 😉 ~ Steve
    @ Will,
    I think you and I may be the only tomato aficionados here. 😉 Your dried tomatoes sound awesome!
    I keep thinking about taking a picture or my “renegade” tomatoes and posting it. Maybe I will. I’ve never left a tomato plant in at the end of the year, but this one just didn’t look ready to go… Two of the tomatoes are now turning orange, though I don’t know if they’ll go red, or what they’ll taste like. ~ Steve

• 9 RT Cunningham // Feb 1, 2009 at 3:20 am

Snow? What the heck is snow?

• 10 JD at I Do Things // Feb 1, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Someone told me about that video — said to search on YouTube for “winter sucks.” I can handle the coldest of temps, but I HATE having to shovel out my car. Shoveling out someone ELSE’s car? They’d better be prepared to do mine.

• 11 The Trade Show Guru // Feb 1, 2009 at 5:58 pm

@RT, “Snow” is white stuff that they don’t have in the Philippines. 😀
    @JD, I’ve heard they don’t have snow in the winter in Jamaica, but I haven’t been there… 😀
    ~ Steve

• 12 Brian D. Hawkins // Feb 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm

You’re killing me with all that warm talk lol. Here in Michigan we’ve already had more snow than we normally do in an entire winter season.

I love that video. I posted it on a joke blog I had last year. It has to be one of my top 10 favorite commercials.

• 13 The Trade Show Guru // Feb 8, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for stopping by! The commercial is a classic, and would go in my top 10 too. ~ Steve