The Ultimate Christmas Gift

December 17th, 2008 · 10 Comments · Random Stuff

What is the Ultimate Christmas Gift? I know, but I don’t know. How’s that for a riddle? Isn’t that just the kind of “huh?” answer you’d expect from a guru?

The ultimate Christmas gift is what you get for a person that already has everything they need. It’s the gift somebody needs but doesn’t know they need. What it is depends on the person receiving the gift as well as the person getting it.

I’m faced with this question of what to get my wife for Christmas. My wife does all the Christmas shopping (which I appreciate greatly), but obviously she’s not going to a gift for me to give to her. She wants me to do that, and I’m stumped. You see, I’m a practical person, and I want to get her something that she needs. The problem is that we do ok (if that’s really a problem…). It’s not that we don’t have wants, but we really don’t have needs, at least needs that can be met with a Christmas gift (for more on needs versus wants read what RT, the Master of the Philippines, has to say about Basic Budgeting). Perhaps I need to be less practical and broaden my horizons.

Although my wife has taken care of the Christmas gifts for our kids, I went to Home Depot and got parts to build a zip line to install in the back yard. Our kids don’t really need a zip line, but I know it’ll probably be one of their favorite gifts this year (I won’t tell my wife that wikipedia also calls a zip line a “death slide“). I’ll see if I can write a blog post about my home-built zip line in January.

But back to my wife. Should I get her a pair of goldfish-in-the-heel-zebra-striped-pimp-shoes [image removed but worth searching for on google images]? They can be found on eBay for about $50 plus shipping. I think they’re hillarious but something tells me my wife wouldn’t. I’m also pretty sure if I wandered over to the Redneck Bar and Grill and had Tim, the King of the Rednecks, whip me up a customized beer gift basket, my wife would think it was more for me than for her. Perhaps I should listen to an expert and consider some of the items on Lin’s Christmas gift list. Probably next year I should do a better job of planning ahead.

Well, I guess I still have about 8 days to think about it…

By the way, we watched a movie last night with a turtle guru in it who said something very insightful (and Christmas present related as well). The turtle guru said, “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a Gift, which is why it is called the Present.” Just some guru stuff about treating each day like the gift it is and making the most of of, instead of worrying about the past or the future. Good advice I think. Carpe diem! Anyway, does anyone know what movie we watched?

• 1 Lin Burress @ Telling It Like It Is // Dec 17, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I feel your pain Steve! I have just one more person to buy a gift for and I’m totally stumped. Usually I’m very good about conjuring up ideas even for “the person who has everything”, but this year I’m at a complete loss.

Those shoes are hysterical! Do NOT buy them for your wife! You’ll end up in the doghouse for sure! 🙂

• 2 The Trade Show Guru // Dec 17, 2008 at 3:18 pm

hey Lin,
    Although I’m probably not the smartest guru out there, I’m smart enough to know that buying those shoes for my wife would be pretty darn dumb and would mean the dog house for sure! My wife is incredibly forgiving, but not that forgiving. ~ Steve

• 3 cardiogirl // Dec 17, 2008 at 3:30 pm

I think I’m more jazzed about your zip line than your kids are going to be. Please, please do a follow-up post in January.

Do you live in warm weather? I can’t imagine one of those things in the middle of winter.

These ideas are a tad lame, but…

What about a gift card to Starbucks with $50 so she can zip through the drive thru?

Or, if she listens to her iPod or mp3 player a lot, what about a gift card for some music. I have portable speakers for my mp3 player which is so great — love the speakers.

Perhaps that might be nice.

Can’t go wrong with Godiva chocolate, right?

• 4 The Trade Show Guru // Dec 17, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Hey Cardiogirl,
    Thanks for stopping by again!
    I take it you can’t imagine zipping over ice and snow in a parka? Actually, we live in Southern California, but it’s been pretty cold here too, at least for us, but we won’t be dealing with snow and ice.
    Your suggestions are all great. Unfortunately, we’ve been to other towns with Starbucks drive-thrus and my wife ALWAYS points them out, but we don’t have a drive-thru at any of our local Starbucks…
    But I think you’ve just given me an idea for the Ultimate Christmas gift! I’ve just got to talk one of our local Starbucks into adding a drive-thru (and having it done by Christmas)!
    Brilliant! ~ Steve

• 5 Will // Dec 17, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Hey Steve – In case you were wondering what to get me, those are sooo my shoes!

The hardest thing for me now is finding something for the two oldest kids. It is so much easier when they are little. The zip line is OK, I guess, as long as you have great medical coverage for your kids!

• 6 The Trade Show Guru // Dec 17, 2008 at 7:55 pm

hi Will,
    Yeh, with our kids one can’t go wrong with super hero costumes and Princess stuff. I’m sure it will be a different story when they’re teenagers, but that’s a ways off for us.
    As to the shoes, I’ll let Santa know! 😉 ~ Steve

• 7 Tim // Dec 17, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Zip line! Now I know what I want for Christmas! I wouldn’t use it till spring though, it’s a mite chilly up here.
    That almost sounds like a line from Finding Nemo… but I only watched that once in the theatre so I’m probably way off.

• 8 The Trade Show Guru // Dec 17, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Hey Tim,
    Thanks for guessing on the movie (finally someone did!). It’s not Finding Nemo, but you’re on the right track.
    As to the zip line, I’ll let Santa know. 😉 ~ Steve

• 9 Will // Dec 17, 2008 at 11:16 pm

OK – Here is my guess!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – We Wish You a Turtle Christmas (1994)

• 10 The Trade Show Guru // Dec 17, 2008 at 11:27 pm

hey Will,
    Wow, I never heard of that movie, and missed the TMNT (teenage mutant ninja turtles) craze. I think they were popular around the same time as Power Rangers, which my nephew was into. Anyway, good guess but about 14 years off. 😉 ~ Steve